We are committed to providing transparent information to our potential applicants to assist them when they are deciding which programme to study.
We are proud of the diversity of our student body across all of our Schools and value the individual experiences and expertise that they bring. To deliver on our core purpose of transforming lives, the University is committed to widening participation and outreach. We estimate that 42% of our new UK domiciled undergraduate students are the first in their family to attend University. Our student community of over 24,500 includes more than 3,700 students from over 134 different countries. Our track record on student achievement and social mobility is impressive. Approximately half of our students are from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) background.
The following information will be published annually, and provides data from application, offer, study and finally to award completion stage.
The information published on this pages shows the number of students who attained a particular degree or other academic award, or a particular level of such an award, or a particular level of such an award, on completion of their course with us.
It also shows these numbers by reference to:
- the gender of the individuals to which they relate
- their ethnicity
- their socio-economic background.
Transparency 2021 information overview
These tables contain data relating to the attainment of 2019-20 qualifiers. The following data tables are included:
- Table 1a Attainment 2019-20:This table contains data relating to attainment at the provider. This table presents the percentage of classified first degrees at grade 2:1 or above by characteristics for 2019-20 qualifiers.
- Table 1b Attainment 2019-20:This table contains data relating to attainment at the provider. This table presents detailed information on attainment by characteristics for 2019-20 qualifiers.
Rounding and suppression
The data contained in the tables have been rounded and suppressed as follows:
- numerators and denominators have been rounded to the nearest 10. Where the numerator or denominator rounds to 20 or less, the data are suppressed with an "N"
- percentages are rounded according to the smallest, unsuppressed denominator in a given mode and characteristic. If the denominator rounds to:
- 50 or less: percentages are rounded to 5%
- 1000 or less: percentages are rounded to 1%
- more than 1000: percentages are rounded to 0.1%
- "N/A" is displayed where there is no provision in a given mode or level
Table 1a Attainment: Percentage of classified first degrees at grade 2:1 or above by characteristic for 2019-20 qualifiers
|EIMD 2019 quintile||1 and 2||68.9%|
|EIMD 2019 quintile||3 to 5||80.9%|
Table 1b: Detailed information on attainment for 2019-20 qualifiers
Please scroll along the table to view all of the data columns.
|Mode of Study||Characteristic||Characteristic split||Headcount of classified First Degrees awarded||% of classified First Degrees awarded as first class||% of classified First Degrees as upper second class||% of classified First Degrees as lower second class||% of classified First Degrees as third class / pass||Headcount of unclassified First Degrees awarded||Headcount of other First Degrees awarded|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||1||520||25%||50%||25%||5%||N/A||70|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||2||920||30%||45%||20%||5%||N/A||80|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||3||800||40%||40%||15%||5%||N/A||70|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||4||620||40%||40%||15%||0%||N/A||50|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||5||560||50%||40%||10%||0%||N/A||40|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||N/A||30||40%||40%||20%||DP||N/A||N|
|Full Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||Unknown||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||1||60||10%||20%||35%||40%||N/A||N|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||2||80||10%||25%||40%||35%||N/A||70|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||3||70||10%||25%||30%||35%||N/A||80|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||4||70||30%||25%||30%||15%||N/A||60|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||5||50||55%||20%||20%||10%||N/A||70|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||N/A||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Part Time||EIMD 2019 quintile||Unknown||N||N||N||N||N||N||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||1||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||2||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||3||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||4||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||5||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||N/A||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
|Apprenticeships||EIMD 2019 quintile||Unknown||N||N||N||N||N||N/A||N|
You can view theUniversity's Access and Participation plan here.
We have a strong record in terms of access and participation, which is evident in our student population and the proportion of students from under-represented backgrounds.
In our current APP, we have adopted the following strategic aims:
- Achieving equal outcomes for all studentswhich addresses our aims and objectives relating to key target groups (BAME, mature, low participation and disabled) and their non-continuation and attainment.
- Transforming lives for all students这代表了我们的承诺，不仅是对目标群体，如低参与度、离校照顾者和成熟的学生，而是对整个学生社区。我们坚信，支持和改善目标群体的学生体验对整个学生社区都有好处。
- Developing aninclusive culture and environment for students and staffwhich allows us to address key issues and challenges raised by our student and staff communities. A truly inclusive culture supports the whole student lifecycle through curriculum, pastoral and experiential support.
You can access the full data set for theUniversity's Transparency Return here.This document includes detailed data and the rounding and suppression guidance.
It is important to note that the data presented has not been contextualised. This means, for example, that you will not be able to see from this data how many of those applying to courses met the entry criteria. It is also the case that universities and colleges will often receive many more applications than they have spaces on courses and so offer rates will necessarily be lower than application rates in those circumstances.
Initials used in transparency report
- BAME =黑人，亚洲人和少数民族。
- EIMD quintile = English Index of Multiple Deprivation with Quintile 1 & 2 as most deprived and 3, 4 and 5 as least deprived.